Friday, February 17, 2012

A Farewell to Long Arms. (And a hello to a name I've heard before.)

My heart broke a little when I heard we traded Hal Gill.
He was a giant tall man on a team often mocked for being too short. He was a nice guy in a city where people can be awfully hard on their hockey players. He blocked shots when no one else could. He took PK under his wing when we needed him to. He did justice to the bleu-blanc-rouge: He gave his all on the ice, and he was a great ambassador for his team off the ice. And he never fails to make me laugh.


I expected Gill to be traded at some point, but I didn't want it to happen because I like him too damn much. I wish him all the best in Nashville and I look forward to seeing him push them further in the playoffs.

As for what's coming to Montreal: It looks like a pretty fair trade, but only time will tell. I've learned by now not to judge a trade, purchase, waiver, or other acquisition until we've all had enough time to see some results.
That being said, there's something to be said for acquiring more youth. It'll do the team some good.
Apparently I've overestimated Blake Geoffrion's potential, but I'll wait and see what he brings to the team. Most people see his bloodline and assume that the Cup is ours. I won't go that far, but I will say this: my grandfather watched his grandfather play for the Habs. My Nonno came to Canada in 1949, probably not knowing what ice hockey even was, and learned to love the Canadiens soon after he got here. I watched hockey with him and the whole family when I was little, and stopped after he passed away. Then, like him, I became a real Habs fan a little later than most Montrealers. Now, I'll get to see Blake wear the CH. Regardless of what kind of player he becomes, it feels like things have come full circle.

Thank you, Hal. Welcome, new Habs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.