Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My 12: Rookie breaks her own rules

Usually I hate playing armchair GM. (Notable exceptions: my vocal desire to bring Jarome Iginla, Evgeni Malkin, Drew Doughty, and a few other players to Montreal. Ask Czechtacular how many times I've asked her if we could have a bake sale to help pay for a big-money contract.) However, at the request of some of my blogger friends, I'm attempting to make my picks for 12 forwards that I'd like to see at the season opener.

Disclaimer: This isn't who I think will make the team, just who I like. And yes, I know that I'm not the most qualified person to judge chemistry between linemates, but I'll do my best.

Let's get the obvious out of the way: The top two lines.

Michael Cammalleri & Tomas Plekanec - can't have a team without them. And they've shown how well they can play together (see? Me, talking about chemistry!)

Brian Gionta & Scott Gomez - as if I wouldn't put my captain and his sidekick on the same line.

Benoit Pouliot & Andrei Kostitsyn - I haven't decided which of these players would play on which line, but they'd both add a little size to either of the top two lines and help complete plays. Their potential motivation problems will hopefully be appeased a little bit by playing with guys who have experience and leadership skills.

The tricky stuff: Lines 3 and 4.

Jeff Halpern & Travis Moen - We bought Jeff Halpern for a reason. And there's no way Travis Moen isn't making this team, if he has the man-parts to take on NHL baby Erik Gudbranson. I'm naming them together because they're both sure bets, but they'd probably be on separate lines.

Tom Pyatt - He's great for our supporting cast, and Coach J-Mart loves him, so he's in. Maybe on Moen's line.

Ryan White - After everything I've said about him, how can I cut The Great White? He makes the team for sure, maybe on Halpern's line since Moen is capable of fighting five guys all by himself.

Maxim Lapierre - Only if he can be as good as he was at the end of the season. We have Ryan White now so he'd had better shape up, unless he wants to be replaced by the other Max.

Dustin Boyd - he's my affirmative action, "choose a player we traded for" pick. But, again, Pacioretty's waiting in the wings and he's just a bit bigger, so the Boyd had better bring it.

Players tend to get angry when you cut them

Pressbox boys: These two have pretty good chances of seeing lots of ice time, in case Pouliot needs a night in the pressbox or Lapierre underperforms. I choose Max Pacioretty, who I have a lot of faith in for this season, and Lars Eller, who I think would make more of an impact than the guys I'd send to Hamilton.

To Hamilton: Mathieu Darche isn't an absolute necessity for the Canadiens (PR purposes notwithstanding) but he might prove useful for a callup. Otherwise, the Bulldogs will need a guy with Darche's patience and experience. Ben Maxwell has been overshadowed by a lot of his peers, so I don't think I'd give him much time in Montreal. You never know, though, because he's been getting better, so I'd keep my eye on him just in case.

7 comments:

  1. I can dig it, but I'm not sure all the other GMs are gonna like you boxing the Swedish Albino Franchise Saviour. Other than that, our pics are eerie similar so perhaps I'm spending too much time reading your. Nah, I'm probably just psychic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! This is most definitely showing your heart, nice and bold! I likes. Great comments on Lapierre! Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with much of what you said but I can't agree with Patches in the press box playing MAYBE one in every four games. IMO, he's the one guy in the organization that needs to be on the ice as much as possible to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess politics still exist in my imaginary Montreal, because I'd have put Pacioretty in over Lapierre but I'd get punched for not including a single Quebecois player on my team.
    Tyg, Albino gets benched just because he was injured for part of training camp, and I'd prefer to give him more rest so he doesn't mess something up at the beginning of the season and miss a whole bunch of games as a result. Also, higher potential for "Boyd" puns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff, and who said you couldn't play GM? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @HabsLaughs - Dane Swede WTF ever. Close enough IMO. ;)

    @Rookie - Puns are always fun.

    ReplyDelete

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.