Sunday, March 27, 2011

This week was so very Plus/Minus

I posted the last Plus/Minus before one of the most exciting games of the season. And then things just went downhill. What else is there to say? A lot, I guess.

PLUS
+ There is no mature way for me to say this: RYAN WHITE WITH A GORDIE HOWE HAT TRICK OMG OMG OMG THIS IS THE STUFF OF DREAMS.
+ PK Subban's hat trick was fantastic! I already discussed this at length, didn't I?
+ Every time I hear about Andrei Markov skating again it brings a smile to my face.
+ Good day to be a former Hab: now-Thrasher Ben Maxwell scored his first NHL goal, and now-Canuck Christopher Higgins had two goals in one game!
+ Speaking of former Habs, Chris Nilan had some radio airtime on Thursday to discuss the Habs-Bruins game and was fantastic. You may have heard by now that he offered to sign a one-game contract to take care of the Bruins so that the current Habs could concentrate on not getting hit and winning game. He's a hoot. Nilan may have retired but he's still 100% hockey.
+ The LA Kings and spcaLA joined forces to raise money for pets in need of adoption. The Kings' wives and girlfriends even designed pet bowls and put them up for auction! As someone whose adopted cat has been around longer than her love of hockey, I think this is a great initiative.
+ Speaking of the Kings, what exactly did Jonathan Quick do here? The more I watch this save, the less I understand how it happened. West Coast Forum Ghosts?

+ Montreal brings home the Cup! The Clarkson Cup, that is. Our city is home to the country's best female hockey team. And, in a wonderful turn of events, goalie Kim St-Pierre posted a shutout.
+ Blake Geoffrion with a hat trick! When he played his first NHL game, someone said that Howie Morenz and the Rocket were probably going to settle down with a nice beer and watch the game from heaven. You can only imagine what heaven must have been like on Sunday, when the League's fourth-generation power forward scored a hat trick.

MINUS
Worst possible nonviolent outcome
- New to Plus/Minus (but not for lack of trying) is l'Antichambre host Stephane Langdeau, who said there was one good thing about the Habs' play against the Bruins on Thursday: Scott Gomez got bashed in the head by Brad Marchand. Is he crazy? Usually RDS is way too partisan, but I'll take that over wishing injury on yet another Canadien.
- OK, OK, I know. I want the Habs to win every game for Max, but if ever there was really a "win one for the Gipper" game, it was in Boston on Thursday and the Habs just didn't have it.
- Actually, getting shut out three times in a row is the real minus here.
- If I paid so much attention to the Kings in Plus, I might as well give a Minus to the fact that Anze Kopitar has a broken ankle. We'll see him next season, I guess.

I have an awfully good feeling about the upcoming week. And by that, I mean that I think a Montreal Canadien will score a goal.

2 comments:

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.