Wednesday, January 6, 2010

HIHW gets some answers

There have been a few questions plaguing us lately, mostly involving the meaning of life, the popularity of Lady Gaga and what on earth we have to do to permanently repair whatever's wrong with Georges Laraque. We don't have the answers to any of those questions, but don't worry, if we ever figure something out, you'll be the first to know.
I did recently get my Veronica Mars on, to answer another one of life's burning queries: What's the deal with "Roster players currently unavailable?"

Technical difficulties prevent me from photoshopping Miss Mars into a tricolore jersey



You know the message if you've tried to make yourself something at the recently launched NHL Custom Shop. You pick out a shirt, a colour, a size, a logo for the front, and you get all excited about the idea of a custom T-shirt that only you (and people your size have). You type in a "Moen 32" or a "Kesler 17" or what have you, only to be told that yes, indeed, Roster players are currently unavailable.
So much for customization.

I decided to get to the bottom of this, and here's the very prompt answer I got, courtesy of the NHL shop's customer service department:

"There are certain rule and regulations that www.SHOP.NHL.com must follow according the National Hockey League. Some players have signed contracts that allow their names to be put on jerseys, and some have not. We do not have a way of knowing which ones have and have not, accept for the drop down menu that allows you to pick the players names. We apologize for any inconvenience."


(I copied it word-for-word... that's not my grammar.)
So there you have it. It's the lawyers' fault again. What, they couldn't take an extra three minutes to write an extra clause into their client's contract?
I also have yet to find this drop-down menu, unless they mean the one in the "Player Apparel" section of the store.


The good news in all this? Current roster players seem to be the only thing currently unavailable. So you're in luck if you happen to like anyone who doesn't currently lace up for the Canadiens. (hint, hint.)


Hope this helps... it's the least I can do. The Habs are expected to make their yearly visit to children's hospitals at some point soon, and I was going to get you some first-person accounts from staff members, but that's looking about as possible as me getting a puck past Ryan Miller. (I'm still angry, Ryan Miller. Don't think you got off easy just because I didn't talk about the last Buffalo game.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.