Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rookie shouldn't be making Super Bowl picks

I've spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about the Super Bowl. I guess that's what talking football on the radio does to you. I still have no idea how I'm supposed to pick who wins the Super Bowl. I mean, Aaron Rodgers is good at throwing, but Troy Polamalu is good at catching, so he can intercept things. The Steelers have really crazy physical defense. And is it possible to sack Ben Roethlisberger? Also, how is he engaged to a woman?

I didn't get to make my picks on Game Points on Tuesday, which is probably for the best. My thoughts here are proofread and organized, and even if they're not, it just makes my writing quirky and lovable, right?
On second thought, don't answer that.

Too bad my pick can't be "cupcakes"
So... who will I go with? Do I want my New York Jets' loss avenged by the Packers, or would it suck to watch the Steelers lose, and they beat my Jets for nothing? Should I answer the ever-popular "better hair" question and cheer for Polamalu and the Steelers? (No offense, Clay Matthews, but... Polamalu's got curls. I gotta represent.) Should I cheer for the team that has won more Lombardi trophies? Or the team that I almost chose as my NFL team of choice?

Maybe I should look at the numbers. Which isn't as easy as it sounds, and it's not my style. (I'm not good with stats, in case you haven't heard me on the radio say something like ".......wow. So the Canadiens won more faceoffs than the Sabres. And guess who had 24:53 of ice time?") So I have one stat for you, which involves the most football words I've ever put into one sentence:
Teams that have returned an interception for a touchdown are undefeated 10 and 0 in the Super Bowl.

What does that have to do with anything? From what I can tell, one of the two teams left standing is quite capable of that. People are expecting Charles Widmore Woodson or Tramon Williams to be capable of returning an interception and getting those six points, and if superstition is anything to go by, help win the game.
It sounds like something I want to see, so I'm picking the Green Bay Packers.

Or, I can go with the opinion of someone I trust. It's taken me this far in the whole "TV girl learns about sports, inspires others to hug their little sisters and teach them to ignore Don Cherry" process, so I'll keep doing it. At the end of his column this week, Bill Simmons picks the Packers, 37-27. (I'm not going to try and guess the final score for myself.) Bill Simmons knows a lot about sports and loves TV. Thus, I trust him.

Of course, being the good person that I am, I also like seeing people get what's coming to them. Aaron Rodgers is a choirboy compared to Big Ben. I'd hate for this season to be known as the year that Ben Roethlisberger came back from "adversity" and won the Super Bowl. Let's be honest: if an athlete accomplishes a lot on the field or the ice, people tend to ignore some of the more unsavoury aspects of his personal life. Maybe karma will be on my side, so I'm picking the Packers for a moral victory.

Also, because "Tramon Williams" is a fantastic name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.