Monday, May 30, 2011

Thank you, Game Points listeners.

This has been one hell of a hockey season. Now that it's winding down, I won't have much to flail about on the Team 990 airwaves.

You won't be hearing me on Game Points, at least not for a little while. I'll be using my Tuesday nights to enjoy the summer weather, indulge the side of me that loves movies, and maybe learn about this baseball thing at my own pace. I know that our show has listeners who keep the radio on while they watch sports on mute, and I never knew how they could multitask like that. I'm looking forward to trying that out. We'll see if I succeed.

My first seven months of radio have been great. Without Game Points, I'd still be completely lost when it comes to legit sports talk. You know, the kind where the Habs' goalie is always called "Price" and never "Carey." I'm only now a little bit lost. It was obvious from the get-go that Matthew, Trex, and Moe would teach me more than I could teach them, so I tried to learn as much as I could.

And I can definitely say that I learned a lot. If it weren't for all the research and preparation I made myself do for Game Points, I wouldn't have the New York Jets. I don't think I would have watched as much NBA basketball as I did (which would have been a damn shame in The Year Of Blake Griffin). I can almost pronounce "Dan Hamhuis" properly now. And I'm slowly getting over my nerves and that crazy fear I have of the sound of my own voice. Plus, it was nice to have had three more people to ask about sports stuff, who weren't afraid to ask me about things either. It felt pretty good to school the guys on things they didn't yet know about.

Most importantly, I have a lot of people to thank for my beginnings on the radio. All the great people I met at the station, especially the guys I was on air with. The awesome guests who gave us their precious time and were more than happy to answer my questions. The friends who helped me prep for the show. And, of course, everyone who listened to and participated in the show regardless of how late we were on.

Thank you for your enthusiasm, your patience, and your support. Let's talk soon!

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy you got this opportunity, Erica!

    You'll always have this experience and be able to use it in the future. I can see the difference between before and after. I don't know if you can, but I know I see it.

    I'm proud that we were on the same team... we just weren't there at the same time.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! You know what it's like to go from having zero live radio experience to being on air every week. I stayed on my toes. It was a great experience, and I think it's helped me improve my blogging skills too.

    ReplyDelete

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.